Gertrude with her old dressing removed waiting to be cleaned. I think the anticipation of the cleaning is the worst for Ian. He knows the alcohol swabs are going to sting, at least the chloroprep doesn't sting.
Here is Ian waiting for the torture to begin. Gertrudes dressings are looking a little raggid. He has had this line since Sept 8 and has not had one infection with it. The doctors are impressed. I can't tell you how many kids I heard of while Ian was in the hospital or who had gone home and had to come back to the hospital because of a line infection. I am convinced that proper flushing and meticulous dressing changes have made all the difference.
Last Friday at Ian's clinic appointment, the doctors asked us if we wanted to have Ian's Broviac Line removed (aka Gertrude). Our response was "Is the pope Catholic?" We are so excited, things are happening much faster than any of the doctors told us they would. For those of you who are unfamiliar with a Broviac Line, it is a pain in the rear!!!! For the last four months Ian has not been able to have a regular bath. Gertrude's dressings can't get wet and the claves (the two blue "hats" at the end of the line) cannot be submersed in water. If the dressings get wet or if the claves get wet, then everything has to be changed and then there is also the risk of infection. It's bad enough that I have to flush his lines daily, but it is a HUGE pain to get him to cooperate once a week when I have to change his dressing and change claves. NOT FUN!!!!! Anyway, we are supposedly going to have the line removed in the next week and half and I can't wait! So I took pictures of what I hope is Ian's last dressing change and clave change. It's possible I might have to do it one more time, but I am going to be positive and hope that I don't have to. Ian hates having the dressing change. I think the alcohol stings and taking the old dressings off doesn't feel too great either.
6 comments:
It looks so painful for little Ian! How exciting to finally get Gertrude removed! And good job keeping it cleaned properly this whole time!!
That doesn't look fun at all. I remember when Hannah first got her "G" Tube and how tender it was. It was dang raw and we had to put a line in it every night! We had to wait till she was sleeping first. I'm glad you won't have to many more responsibilities in the "nurse" role. :) Love you.
Awwww, poor sweetie. I hope it get's removed too. He's looking great though! That would be a wonderful Christmas present to be tube free!
We'll keep praying! How wonderful that all the toil paid off avoiding an infection. I can tell you love him lots.
What good work you do Leah, poor Ian who has to endure it. I am excited about your news on the line being removed. P.S. Santa Pic turned out great!
I am so glad you documented that whole process. You really should just go be an oncology nurse, you wouldn't even need any extra training. That is awesome it gets to come out! I am doing a joyful dance for you. . .
Post a Comment