Sunday, August 3, 2008

Life's Challenges.....

I suppose all of us at some point or another will encounter challenges. Some will be enormous, seemingly insurmountable, and others will hardly make a blip on our radar screen. Some of us will bring challenges upon ourselves through our own disobedience and some just come because life is one big test. Some people will seem to glide through life without a hint of problems, and others will have one challenge after another. I guess it doesn't really matter how big or small the challenge, it really only matters how we respond to the challenge.



On June 2, 2008 we took our son Ian to St Lukes in Boise Idaho to have an MRI done. He had been experiencing some unusual symptoms for about a month and half. It started out with vomitting, lethargy, loss of appetite, sleep disturbances, pain and eventually significant loss of gross and fine motor skills. Ian's MRI showed he had a very large tumor growing at the base of his skull. Prior to the MRI, we had a sinking feeling something was terribly wrong, and yet we held out hope it wouldn't be anything serious. When the doctor informed us of the findings, it seemed like our whole world came crashing in on us. Ian was immediately admitted to the PICU, where they placed an external shunt to drain the excess fluid off his brain. He was scheduled for surgery on June 5th.



It was amazing to watch Ian come back to life after the excess fluid was drained off his brain. They hadn't even removed the tumor yet and he was feeling so much better. Dr. Bruce Cherny was the surgeon who resected Ian's tumor. We are told that he is the best pediatric nuerosurgeon in the US. He was able to resect the entire tumor. It is highly unusual for brain tumors to be resected entirely. On the day of Ian's surgery, our ward, friends and family joined us in a fast for Ian and for the medical staff working on Ian. I have no doubt that the Lord guided Dr. Cherny while he worked on Ian. We were updated every hour as to the progress and we felt such a peace that all would be well.



I don't know what Mike and I would do if we didn't have the gospel in our lives. What comfort and peace we have. A couple days before the surgery, Ian was given a priesthood blessing by our sweet Bishop Coleman. He, his counselors and Mike participated in the blessing. The Lord promised to preserve Ian's life, that he would have no lasting side effects from this tumor and that he would grow into adulthood. I still get chills when I think of those promises!



Ian spent a total of 12 days in the hospital. All of the nurses and doctors were astounded at Ian's recovery. I wasn't surprised, not after the blessing Ian was given. Ian is also a very strong little boy. Apparently, the majority of kids with this diagnosis are in the hospital for at least a month and have significant deficits, including eating, speaking, and walking. Ian was eating within two days of surgery and talking and when they let him he could walk holding onto my hand. Mike and I have been witness to one miracle after another. We know that Heavenly Father knows and loves Ian and that he loves our family. He has a plan for all of us.....

1 comment:

Llama Wanderings said...

Such an amazing story and miracles!

We were told last summer that Dave had a brain tumor also, causing seizures. Turns out he does indeed have seizures but no brain tumor. So far we have been able to maintain health with medication.

We too have had many miracles through his experience.

Thanks for starting your blog for updates! I will be checking back often