Friday, January 16, 2009

Ian Update

Just a little update. Ian had an appointment with his BMT (bone marrow transplant) doctors. He had blood drawn for labs and also some snot taken to make sure he doesn't have RSV or influenza. The labs came back looking good and he doesn't have RSV or influenza. He does have a small cold. I am so frustrated about the cold, especially after all I do to keep him safe. The doctor assured me that some times despite our best efforts kids can catch a cold. Anyway, he seems to be fighting it fine and it will soon run its course. Ian has grown taller since his last appointment in December and he has gained a whole pound, he now weighs 35 pounds. YAY! I am just so pleased at the progress Ian is making and I hope that he continues do well. We were told today that Ian should be able to return to church and be able to stop wearing his mask at 6 months post transplant. So that means sometime this May. He will still have to wait till the year mark for his immunizations. The doctor reassured us that each day that we get further and further from Ian's transplant is a day that he gets stronger and stronger. Ian has his next appointment on January 30 and it is to do an MRI of his brain and also to do a hearing test. Then on February 3 he will have another MRI done of his spine. On both occassions they will have to sedate Ian which always makes me a little nervous. Not to mention the fact that Ian is always such a grump after he's been knocked out! I pray and hope that his scans come back clean. Nevertheless, I know Heavenly Father keeps his promises!

6 comments:

Llama Wanderings said...

Such good news! Make sure to let us know how the scans come back.

Kim said...

That is wonderful news...Please keep us posted!

Chellayne said...

I'm so glad all went well, especially that he's got just a simple cold. I know you were worried. Sounds like a good appointment.

chloe's clan said...

What a handsome boy! I can't wait to hear about the MRI's. I hate scary procedures. It's almost like holding your breath. But I am grateful that you have the gospel just like I do and we can share in the faith we have as family. I love you and hang in there. It won't be so long until you can feel a bit of normal life. :)

Tiffany Cheney said...

OH, Leah, that is great to hear! Love the underwear model by the way! Did you send it to hanes? LOL!

angela said...

Yippee, skippee--you are doing a great job!